Friday, November 25, 2011

Lost In Translations




(photo credit: Shirisma Shavers)


                        From the people, food, and most especially the rhythmic patterns and colors of 
their clothing, Africa has always fascinated me. This outfit was inspired by my roommates. Both of them are from different parts of Africa.

                               One is from Liberia and the other from Ethiopia. They helped me piece together this outfit as a way of expressing that inner flame of courage and compassion most Africans
I know have. I have learned a lot from these two remarkable young ladies over the last year.
It takes courage to step outside of one's own culture and embrace a new one. Both have migrated from a different continent and are pursuing their nursing degrees. They have showed me compassion by
teaching me things about their cultures and allowing me to get to know them.

By wearing this outfit, poka-dots and all, I'm embracing this collaborative idea of learning from the people around me, and understanding them a little more than I would have before.

It is with open hands that people share and receive relationships and good tides, but we have to stand 
tall and strong at other times to strengthen the bonds between us. With our feet positioned
and ready for whatever is next on our journey to understanding
other people and their differences that make them beautiful.

thank you ladies :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment